When you assume of a fashion icon from the past, who is the 1st person that comes to thoughts? Marilyn Monroe? Audrey Hepburn? Edie Sedgwick, possibly? Although all three of those girls have enviable styles that we absolutely love, there are so many other fashionable women that have graced the history pages.
This biweekly column focuses on just that: unexpected and out-of-the-box fashion icons from the past. We feature women who have not only produced an impact, but also have distinct signature styles that we can still draw inspiration from today.
If you haven’t observed them currently, be confident to check out our other “A History of Style” posts on Amelia Earhart, Billie Holiday, Joan Jett, Louise Brooks, Dorothy Dandridge, Elizabeth Taylor and Edith Head.
This week, we’ll be taking a closer look at actress Mary Tyler Moore, whose sense of style perfectly matches her enjoyable and quirky personality. Read on to discover much more about Mary’s life and distinctive style, then check out some outfit suggestions to help you channel her look for your self:
five Details About Mary Tyler Moore
- Mary Tyler Moore was born on December 29, 1936 in Brooklyn, New York. Her family members moved to Los Angeles when she was 8 years old and Mary aspired to have a career in show company.
- When she was 17, Mary got her 1st huge break when she was hired as a dancer for a series of commercials for Hotpoint appliances, which aired for the duration of the show Ozzie and Harriet. Mary’s attention soon shifted towards acting and by the early 1960s, she had acted in many films and Television shows.
- Mary landed her 1st lead function playing Laurie Petrie on The Dick Van Dyke Show, which aired from 1961-1965. Mary’s comedic efficiency on the show rocketed her to stardom.
- Mary later became the star of her own program, aptly named The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970-1977). The show was recognized for being the 1st of its type to concentrate on an independent, single and career-driven woman. The Mary Tyler Moore Show won 29 Emmy awards over the course of seven seasons.
- Right now, Mary focuses on her charity perform, for with causes which includes animal rights and Sort 1 diabetes.
Mary’s Style 101
- Chic separates. Mary’s wardrobe is based about straightforward, simple-to-wear separates. She chooses skirts, tops and pants that are versatile, which makes it super-effortless to mix-and-match every piece to create tons of different looks.
- Pretty prints. Mary utilizes printed pieces to show off her fun and carefree sense of style. She’s a huge fan of abstract prints and florals, and in her eyes, the much more colorful the pattern, the far better!
- Bold hues. Speaking of color, no Mary-inspired outfit would be total with no a bold pop of it. She generally sticks with solid-colored main hues, (red, blue, and yellow) which constantly make a large impact.
- Statement jewelry. Mary’s preferred jewelry is stylish, flashy and statement-generating. Whether or not she wears a chunky necklace, an oversized cocktail ring or some sculptural earrings, Mary constantly chooses accessories that complement (but in no way overpower) her chic ensembles.
Outfits for Inspiration
Product Information: Blouse- Aerie, Earrings- Topshop, Necklace- ModCloth, Loafers- River Island, Pants- ASOS, Bag- Forever 21
Product Information: Sweater- Victoria’s Secret, Vest- Residence of Frasser, Earrings- Bardot, Clutch- Peacocks, Jeans- Levi’s, Boots- H&M
Product Information: Tights- H&M, Dress- ASOS, Coat- Delia’s, Cocktail Ring- Dorothy Perkins, Stackable Rings- Charm & Chain, Pumps- heels.com
What do you assume?
Do you come across Mary’s style inspiring? What do you think of her look? Would you wear any of these outfits? Let me know what you think by leaving a comment beneath!